Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Procrastination

Procrastination ...reminds me of a song title...isn't the next word ...Jubilation? Wasn't that Cliff Richards (Now 'Sir' Cliff) ...it must have been Wimbledon that did it.
Well done Andy Murray.

Writing -- where were we? Wherever it was, there is not much progress. Which leads to the thought, do I need somewhere, a special place to write?
I hear of writers who can work anywhere ...Trains, Planes and Tuk-tuks is the writer Jan Cornal's phrase. But I can't do that. I seem to need my desk, a blank wall, and as little stimulation as possible.
I seem to need the quiet and calm before I can open the door and step into Scotland circa 1958.
So being in a city (Sydney) even if only for a few weeks, does not help the writing.

Stepping into another person's mind --for that is what writers do, for me that needs a safe quiet spot. And, if disturbed, if snapped out of that dwam*, it is the same as being woken from a deep dream; the same heart palpitations, the same nasty taste in the mouth, the same sense of something having escaped. And impossible to go back to.

I read and listen to other authors talk about the writing experience and the stories are as varied as the writers. but all say the same thing, just get down and do it and don't move until you are finished. Persistence is all.

So...until the next time...
Aa' the best.

*dwam ...Scottish for daydream... kind-of...usually expressed as "In a dwam" or "In a right dwam" and often applied to me by my granny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, can't promise to get back to you, but will promise to try to answer questions ...except about typos --teh bane of my life.
Aa' the best.